A resident of Las Vegas since 1972, Aileen Cohen is a highly skilled professional in all phases of civil and criminal trials and court appearances, including oral argument in motion and evidentiary hearings. In addition to her courtroom experience, she is well versed at representing her clients’ interests in all forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and administrative hearings. She practices general civil and complex litigation, primarily in the areas of insurance defense and coverage issues. Ms. Cohen also practices litigation surrounding contractual and administrative issues. “Litigation is not limited strictly to a strictly defined concept of liability. The issues involved in any area of law require just as much focus on discovery and motion practice than a traditional tort or contract action.” Ms. Cohen presents seminars and advises clients about risk management, offering clients information beyond defense litigation in an effort to arm clients for the defense of future claims and help to reduce risk management issues from arising into a claim.
In addition to civil litigation, Ms. Cohen has notable criminal defense experience. Ms. Cohen’s post-conviction research, preparation of legal briefs and oral argument before the Nevada Supreme Court in Burrell v. State of Nevada resulted in the reversal of a life sentence and re-sentencing for her client.
Ms. Cohen successfully obtained summary judgment defending a legal malpractice claim. She also obtained a partial summary judgment that significantly reduced her client’s exposure.
- S. District Court District of Nevada
- Ninth Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals
- Oregon (inactive)
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Nevada, Reno, 1990
- WICHE Scholar
- Juris Doctor, Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and College, 1993
- State Bar of Nevada
- Clark County Bar Association
- Las Vegas Defense Lawyers, Member of Board of Directors
- Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys
- Congressional District 1 Lead, American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network
Publications and Educational Activities
- “Settlement, Unsettled” Nevada Insurance Law Blog (November 2016)
- “Accident Reconstructionist Not Required for Low Impact Defense at Trial,” Nevada Insurance Law Blog (July 2016)
- Member, Greater Las Vegas Assocation of Realtors Broker’s Breakfast, 2013
- Presenter, Real Estate Trends and Avoiding Claims Seminar, Multiple Las Vegas Real Estate Brokerages